Happy 179th birthday Melbourne ! Yes, it’s Melbourne Day again.
First a little bit of history …
Melbourne was founded on 30 August 1835 by settlers who sailed from Tasmania aboard the schooner Enterprize. They landed on the north bank of the Yarra River and established the first permanent settlement, close to where the Immigration Museum at the Old Customs House stands and the place today known as Enterprize Park.
This year, there’s a full program of activities with the main feature – an all-ages free concert at Federation Square from noon including free birthday cake and candy floss to boot!
There’s also ..
- a spectacular Docklands regatta where a flotilla of private and commercial vessels will fill Victoria Harbour
- an Urban Explorer tour around town
- a flag-raising ceremony at Enterprize Park by our Lord Mayor and other VIPs
- discounted entry for the Aquarium, Eureka Skydeck, Melbourne Star, etc
- special offers at a number of participating restaurants, pubs & cafes
For details on this special day, visit the official Melbourne Day website.
So, head down to Melbourne City tomorrow and enjoy the festivities !
Ed: This post was originally posted at the Melbourne Ahoy website - Melbourne Day 2014